So final week for the exams I did quite a lot.
To start with, I made the copy machine interactable. When pressing ‘E’ when next to it, a copy will come out.
I added an icon for the build.
Another thing I did was make the baseball bat breakable. Each time you hit something with the bat, health will be removed (viewable in the ammo GUI). When the bat is out of health, it shatters into pieces right in your hands!
I also implemented lots of sounds into the scene, from moving cars to background music to breaking sounds to shooting noises.
God mode is another thing I implemented, within this mode the player can fly around, teleport, doesn’t have collisions and isn’t vulnerable at all.
I did some small updates like:
- The color of the timer now changes when you’re having bonus time instead of doing a challenge.
- Enemies now give money and chaos when you kill them. The GUI is now scaleable.
- I added some more challenges like destroy a car, buy a soda and print a copy.
And last but not least I did looooooooots of patches and bug fixes.
This week I started with updating the new UI, including a new health symbol and giving the meelee weapins an icon as well when they’re equiped.
After that I finished the vending machines which were actually planned a while ago, but they’re now fully functional!
The last thing I did this was giving the player a bonus multiplier each time they finish a challenge. The time the bonus lasts depends on how many challenges the player was able to complete.
So this week I started with making the AI able to drop guns, yes guns! (currently handguns, shotguns and AK47’s) The player is able to pickup guns when dropped and shoot them as long as the ammo lasts.
I also implemented the GUI for the ammo (see right corner of the screen, each guntype has it’s own image.
Appart from that I also added 2 more challenges, one to get the police to the building and one to get the army there (by smashing and killing a lot).
I also tweaked the following:
- I replaced the timer GUI clock image with a stopwatch image. I also added a red circle to make clearer it’s a timer and not just a clock.
- The police army now spawn after more damage is dealth to add more of a challenge.
- Changed the default font to a more toony like font.
- Made “Challenge completed” pop-ups to pop unto your screen when completing a challenge.
- Edited the game over text and replaced it to an image with an outline.
- Fixed some bugs including shooting your entire magazine at once, falling damage, the bloodmask acting weird and sideways shooting.
This week I started with fixing the last bugs noticed on the flega cafe. (Challenge GUI, frozen timer and constant falling velocity)
Later on I created falling damage, so the player can die by falling of a certain amount of floors.
So this week was more about bug fixing and getting everything in the new map working.
I also patched some thing, for example I resized the UI scale and the pickupratio of the baseball bat.
Another thing I did was creating some prefabs of the weapons and characters, so they were easy to drag in the level and change some settings.
This week I made a vending machine to help the artists this week, and I started working on a mechanic to choose your food type inside of it. Unfortunately I couldn’t do anymore work thanks to my laptop crashing.
It was unwrapped and textured by Louis.
So the biggest update I did this week was implementing the UI. This means, the health, chaos, score and challenge GUI’s.
I also made a small Splash scene including a prototype of the animation we want.
Aside from that I also played around making an own toon shader. I succeeded in making a post compiling toon-shader, but if we’re going to use it, it’ll need some patches first.
As last, I also helped the artists a bit by modelling a copy machine, a tape holder and a trophy.
The lighting quality setting now includes realtime reflections. I pretty much got stuck with the anti aliasing settings because it only works on the meshes themselves and not with the borders the toon shader draws around them. I lost a lot of time searching for a solution which I didn’t really find yet.
I also started working on an intro splash screen. I already modeled the DAE logo and am currently animating it to later on put it into a new unity scene.
This week I worked on a system to give the player challenges to break objects of one certain type (for example chairs only). All objects are included at the moment and to add new ones you simply have to put them in the right folder in the hierarchy.
I also worked on some of the graphics settings in a different scene to later put into the menu. I already covered lighting quality, shadow quality, anti aliasing and v-sync count.
I updated the challenge system so now you’ll get a randomly assigned challenges after completing the previous one. You’ll also now get a UI pop-up describing your task at the beginning of each one. The first challenge will always be the same, just to warm you up already.