This week I worked on making the final bookcases for in the offices. I made 3 different so we can mix and match to create different set ups. Later I can make more variations with books and other stuff to fill them up with. I also textured them with swatches and broke them so they are game ready.
This week I did quite some extensive work.
1.First off, as a remark of one of our teachers, I changed the two handed character interaction to one handed.
E to pick up left right handed weapon, which is actioned with the left mouse button.
Personally not so fond of it, but for now I commented out all the code, but I plan to add the possibility to choose between both options in the future.
2.Next big change I added, is the interactive menu. Most of it is handled with animation through the animator.
The basic idea goes as follows:
- The big board on the wall will display the controls. And when those are pressed, the will be highlighted on it.
- The bookshelf will display the game Settings.
- The laptop will display the scoreboard.
- The desktop computer will allow to fill in the players name, and choose the level. Once you hit the ground, the level starts :p
3. The final thing I have been working on mainly today, is the dynamic elevator. The inner door, and outer doors work with animation through the animator but the elevator itself works with hardcoded animation.
Only one animation clip is used, keys are changed according to the current position of the elevator, and the destination.
The outer doors wont open as long as the elevator isnt on the right floor. The inner doors wont open as long as the elevator is moving. Which is handled also with hardcoded animation events.
I updated the challenge system so now you’ll get a randomly assigned challenges after completing the previous one. You’ll also now get a UI pop-up describing your task at the beginning of each one. The first challenge will always be the same, just to warm you up already.
In Gameplay Programming they taught us about the concept of Behaviour tree for AI, which I thought was very interesting so I rewrote the entire AI with an Behaviour tree design it still has some small bugs but in general works pretty well
Additionaly to that I added Highscores to the game I used the awesome site dreamlo partly for it which took over the part of SQL and PHP for me.
This week I worked on making pickable weapons glow and player feedback text show up.
I also reworked the hitting animation and changed some folder structure.
I also fixed the staplers orientation, so it can be used.
This week I made the reference asset we will aim all of our props towards.
The prop contains a keyboard, mouse, monitor, computer, lamp and desk.
The textures are done using a swatch.
This week I created the design for the art document and made all the pages in that style.
This is the frontpage for it. The whole document will be uploaded under documents->art document.
This week I added a breakdown of the character, a weapon interaction and a gameplay flow to the tech doc. I also lead the discussion in naming convention and folder structure.
I implemented some code so now, instead of after some time, broken pieces will be deleted after an (adjustable) maximum amount of pieces will be spawned.
I also helped with creating the tech document.
This week I worked on small bug fixes in my code and updated it with the naming convention of the tech document except that I worked on the tech document.
I also have been working on restructurizing the AI a bit by using different desing pattern which is still not finished but I it hope makes the code once it’s finished more readable understandable.